Carol Bontekoe

This blog has been keeping track of my adventures since 2004. The stories and the adventures have come from my college dorm room to Uganda, Peace Corps Kyrgyzstan, learning Dutch in the Netherlands to living in the wilds of Homer, Alaska. I went back to school in Amsterdam to study Theaterwetenschap (Theatre Science) at University of Amsterdam. And now my adventures as a Fruit Fly, a Sexy Unicorn, and creating a movement with Team Sparkle in Chicago.

Wednesday, July 21, 2004

So this one time I was swimming in the Nile....

So Rafting the Nile was on Saturday. IT WAS AMAZING!!!!!! No matter what I write about it it won't describe the expeience I had. I ended up going with Kanayo, Farhan, Echo, Alia, and David. We had to do a last minute replcement of Inigo cuz he went to some Island in Lake Victoria without telling us!!! But David wasn't as bad as we had for seen him being, although, he did push me out of the raft on a class five. But more about that in a bit. So on the bus ride to the Nile there was this CRAZY Kiwi guy named Shane giving us all of our insturctions about what will happen once we get to the Nile. I had a feeling he would end up our guide and you wanna know something.... He totally was! He was awesome though, very energetic and obviously loves what he is doing. I got hurt on the practice flip before we even got anywhere near a rapid. Farhan fell on me when we did a practice. like literally right on my head.... Good thing we all were wearing helmuts. We had 4 CLass five rapids. With a Bunch of 3s and 4s. We all ignored the wishes of Echo and decided we were going to be hardcore and try to hit all the hardest rapids and everything. On the very first Class five we were going to try to hit the "G Spot" on it. And we most defiantly hit it! But when we hit it David and I were in the very front and he punched me at the same ime I seemed to lose my balance and we hit the "G Spot". So needless to say... I fell out. But Still had my oar and was holding onto the boat like we were told to do. But I got kinda caught under the boat and it just kept pushing me further and further under. so I just let go and rode my oar like it was a witch's broom. It was pretty cool and I eventually got picked up by the safty boat. I guess Alia had been thrown out too but she held on I didn't even know I wasn't the only one till after the fact. The second class five we rode in sideways and I totally thought we were going to flip but we came out fine. After the first two class fives we were the only ones not to flip. And we kinda wanted to.In the very begining we had alot of rapids relly quick and then the second half we had some defiant down time, where we were just floating down the Nile looking at all the beautiful sights. I wish I coulda brought my camera on the boat. Some defiant NG type pics. Like we floated past fisherman and everything and women washing their clothes. We saw Crocodiles early on and then never saw any when we were just floating. It was cool though because we were able to jump out and go for a swim in the water. We all were looking at each other while we were swimming and were like, "Do you realize we are going for swim down the Nile? This is Awesome!!!" It was cool because there were three other rafts with us, and it was people from all over the world. I believe the few of us that were Americans in my boat wer the only AMericans. There was an Irish boat that was getting brighter and brighter red every time we saw them. I kept picking on them everytime we saw them, "Oh the wee boat, full of wee Lepruchans. I-diddly-dee-dee-dee" All in good fun. After all this floating and good fun we hit another class 5 rapid. This one we were ment to flip..... But we didn't. We hit it exactly in the right place literally our raft went veritcal straight up into the air I was falling back on Farhan and then....... We just came down and rafted through the rest of the rapids. I saw David next to me, felt Farhan behind me, then saw Echo out of the corner of my eye and was like, OMG we made it. We were about to do our oar high five when Farhan asked, "Where's Alia?" We all turn around the whole back half of our boat had been thrown out. There was no Kanayo, ALia, or Shane. Everyone else went t pull Alia and Kanayo back in the raft, and Shane came swimming up to me so I was like, "I got your vest!!!!! I'll pull ya in!!!!" And he just grinned at me and brushed me off and pulled himself into the boat. I really was trying to be helpful. So we had done no flipping. As David put it, "Dang us for just being to darn compitent" After that we went through some fours and had to get out and walk the rafts around this crazy CLass 6. And then you had the option of getting back in to do this CLass 5 that is barely missing being like a class 6. It is called the Bad Place. Alia and Echo opted not to go. Us other 4 were like we paid to do this and we are going to get our moneys worth. And we wanted to flip just once. It was crazy..... All I remember is this wall of white bubbles and then not knowing where I was up, down, whatever. Then I got kicked in the head by Frahan and assumed we were flipped, so I let go of the rope, did the witch's broom thing again and I fianlly settled down and came to the surfice, looked around and saw I head been sept the farthest, but I located Kanayo, Farhan and David, Then saw Shane riding on top of the flipped raft like he was a cowboy. After wards we went up to the bus got changed took a couple pics and enjoyed comparing stories with the other rafters. On the bus ride back there was this Dutch guy that I started chatting it up with and found out he lives on like Bontekoe lane or Street or whatevr they call them over there!!!! he was like, "yeah BOON-TI-KOO is a very cool name. There are two kinds of cows, Black Spotted cows and Brown Spotted Cows. BOON-TI-KOOS are the brown spotted cows. He told me Bontekoe isn't a Freis name at all though, That it is very Dutch so he couldn't figure out why people in Friesland would have a Dutch name. When he was writing don his info to give me he wrote me not about a children's book. Of course I forgot to bring it so I could get the spelling right but there is a story called something like Scheepjongens van Bontekoe. I guess there ws a famous boat or sailor named Bontekoe or both. Very cool though. I'll try to get the spelling right later.Played some more basketball with the girls yesterday, while I had Inigo and David play Football(Soccer) with the boys. The girls we're like tackling each other and totally cheating. I started yelling at them I was like, "You can't tackle each other and you need to stop cheating!!!!!!" Then they accussed me of cheating and of not knowing the rules. So I just took the ball told them that I had been playing Basketball for 15 years and they ahd been playing for a week. So I knew the rules. I need to go back and apologize to teachers I have had in the past and driven crazy. I now defiantly know why some of them were Crazy!!!!!!! I really don't like teaching English Comprehension!!!! I don't understand the stories they read. Worst written text books ever!!!! How can I teach it if I don't understand it myself. I'm going to turn into this other volunteer Grace soon and just be like, "WHY IS THERE TALKING?!?!??!?!?!?!?! THERE SHOULD ONLY BE WRITING!!!!!!!!!!" I'll have to find some other way to teach English...... Thinking.... Thinking..... Thinking......

0 comments :