Carol Bontekoe

This blog has been keeping track of my adventures since 2004. The stories and the adventures have come from my college dorm room to Uganda, Peace Corps Kyrgyzstan, learning Dutch in the Netherlands to living in the wilds of Homer, Alaska. I went back to school in Amsterdam to study Theaterwetenschap (Theatre Science) at University of Amsterdam. And now my adventures as a Fruit Fly, a Sexy Unicorn, and creating a movement with Team Sparkle in Chicago.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Motorist

To get from Helsinki, Finland to Tallinn, Estonia-which is where the actual cycling part began- I had to take a ferry. I had thrown Helsinki into the mix just because I was curious about the northern most capital. I arrived at Viking Lines just as a boat was pulling out. I didn't know the boat was just pulling out and asked the one of I could buy a ticket for the boat. The woman gave me a look of amazement and replied, "FOR YTHE BOAT THAT JUST LEFT?" I didn't want to sound stupid so I shrugged and was like, "nah nah just for like any boat that is like ya know leavin' sometime today."
"We have one leaving at 8."
"AT NIGHT? Oh, ummmm is there another boat I could take or soemthing?"
I made the woman look up what times for other lines were leaving there was a Noordic Jet leaving in an hour. I pedaled over to their ticket office. Even though it was more expensive I wanted to get to Estonia at a descent time. I did like my 10 euro discount. I will be a student at Michigan State until that ID is clearly too old to be valid anymore. I mean I need to get my masters and PHd right?
HAving a bicycle put me into a select group of people... The people with vechiles. I ahd to wait with my bike in the line with the cars. And then after they all went in, including a big charter bus, I got to put my bike in the corner.
Waiting in the car line I got to inhale quite a lot of fumes and was feeling pretty good at the begining of the ride. I like watching as Helsinki disappeared and as we went by the smattering of islands surrounding the peninsula that Helsinki sits on. After all that fun was done I looked around at what there was to do. My car exhaust high was starting to ware off. There was a gift shop, the toilets had black lights in them, there were slot machines, and then I found what I was looking for the bar.
I ended up having to Draft Ciders called, Golden Cap. I have to recomend this cider fully.
If you find yourself taking the ferry from helsinki to Tallinn I recomend getting some draft cider and watching some Simpsons in Finnish. Before you know it your in another country.

1 comments :

  1. Jillian said...

    Hey Carol! I've just starting reading your blog and have been catching up on all of your amazing adventures. You have always amazed me with your ambition and adventure. Best of luck to you! Have the time of your life!

    Love,
    Jillian