Carol Bontekoe

This blog has been keeping track of my adventures since 2004. The stories and the adventures have come from my college dorm room to Uganda, Peace Corps Kyrgyzstan, learning Dutch in the Netherlands to living in the wilds of Homer, Alaska. I went back to school in Amsterdam to study Theaterwetenschap (Theatre Science) at University of Amsterdam. And now my adventures as a Fruit Fly, a Sexy Unicorn, and creating a movement with Team Sparkle in Chicago.

Monday, July 14, 2008

Sharing


Recently my friend Shawn(don't let the name fool ya... it's a girl) came for a two week visit. Shawn and I met on the Alternative Spring Break Trip I took to Honduras my last year at university. Though I considered her a friend(The Hondo trip was A-mazing all people on it I consider friends) I never considered her a close friend. She asked me if she could come for a visit one day after reading my blog. I said sure, assuming she like most others would say they were coming or that they really wanna come but than not come. However, Shawn's spontatnous(how in the heck do you spell that? And my spell checker is only for Dutch words so sorry there are so many mis-spelled words) attitude led to her buying a ticket to amsterdam.


I kept telling her on our internet convos before hand that Fryslan is not Amsterdam and is not close to the major cities one might think of as a place to have fun in Holland. In fact where I live we don't like The Netherlands being refered to as Holland. She said that was fine and that something different was what she was looking for.

May I just say I'm so glad she came with an open heart and was willing to let me share Fryslan with her. This little corner of the world that I have been living in for nearly a year and calling home for almost 6 months now. Shawn is a better writer than me so I will refer you to her blog: http://secretsmile27.blogspot.com/ for more infromation about her trip. I just want to say that now I consider her a good and dear friend. And hope in the future I can share more of my crazy life with her :)
Shawn where do you want to visit me next:
England
Australia
Africa
Turkey

And for any Hondo people out there... We want a reunion 2011 anywhere in the world... votes need to be cast.

2 comments :

  1. *secret smile* said...

    Ironically, just before I read this, I had posted something on my blog mentioning our reunion ideas, what a coincidence! And can I just say that I LOVE FRYSLAN! :) I even have the bag to prove it!

    In terms of where to visit you next... um, YES, YES, YES, and YES. Oh wait... I'm supposed to choose a favorite? Thats tough, but I suppose I'd say Africa... although again, I'd prefer to just say all!

    Thanks again for everything! I'm still posting updates and plan to have them all up before you leave on your trip. I am SO excited for you!! I hope you can write about it upon your return. :)

  2. Anonymous said...

    i think you and shawn should BOTH come visit me in LA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!